Americans Back Balanced GOP Plan to Avoid Fiscal Cliff
A new survey shows a strong majority of Americans favor Speaker John Boehner’s framework for averting the fiscal cliff without raising tax rates and hurting our economy. Through a “combination of pro-growth tax reform and entitlement reform,” we can avoid the fiscal cliff, “bring jobs home and make our economy stronger,” says Speaker Boehner. Watch him here.
MORE FROM THE SPEAKER’S BLOG:
- AVERTING THE FISCAL CLIFF: Each plank in the GOP plan to stop the fiscal cliff – simplifying the tax code by lowering rates and closing loopholes (70% favor), saving our entitlement programs (88%), and making needed spending cuts (72%) – are top priorities for those surveyed. Raising tax rates is not.
- PROTECTING SMALL BUSINESSES: Raising tax rates would hurt nearly one million small businesses. The GOP plan protects small businesses and middle class families, and paves the way for long-term economic growth.
- REPEALING OBAMACARE: Speaker Boehner is highlighting the critical role congressional oversight will play in repealing ObamaCare, which is raising costs and making it harder for small businesses to hire new workers.
- BANNING EARMARKS: House Republicans renewed the ban on earmark spending, keeping the pledge to make Congress more open and accountable.
- HONORING WWII VETERANS: Speaker Boehner and Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) welcomed WWII Honor Flight veterans to the United States Capitol and thanked these heroes for their service. Click here for photos.
- FOCUSING ON JOBS: Click here to meet Republicans’ new leadership team for the 113th Congress. “Republicans are humbled by the confidence that the American people have placed in our House majority, and we’re united and focusing on their top priority, which is jobs,” said Speaker Boehner.