President Obama “cracked wise” about his failed “stimulus” spending bill yesterday and told supporters in Florida he deserves credit for our sluggish economic recovery, according to the Washington Times. Credit? President Obama wants “credit” for…
- …9.1% Unemployment? The “unemployment rate rose to 9.1 percent” in May according to UPI and has averaged 9.5% since the president’s “stimulus” was enacted (far above what the Administration promised).
- …1.5 Million Jobs Lost? Our economy has lost roughly 1.5 million jobs since the “stimulus” began, including more than 280,000 during last year’s “Recovery Summer.”
- …A “Double-Dip” in Housing Prices? CNBC reported that “home prices are back to their mid-2002 levels” as single-family home prices dipped “below their 2009 low.”
- Plunging Economic Confidence? The latest Gallup survey shows “two out of three Americans say …the U.S. economy is ‘getting worse’ -- approaching the high for the year.”
- Falling Retail Sales? Associated Press reports that “[s]ales among U.S. retailers fell 0.2 percent last month … the latest report signaling the economy has lost momentum.”
- The Worst Economic Growth Since the Great Depression? “[R]eal annual growth in GDP has been just 1.5 percent” on President Obama’s watch – the worst since the Great Depression, according to The Weekly Standard.
This isn’t the first time the president has sought credit for our faltering economy. Almost one year ago, the White House launched “Recovery Summer” to celebrate the failed “stimulus” – a PR stunt that went bust as the Democratic onslaught of spending, taxing, and regulating left the economy staggering.
Republicans are focused on jobs. The Republican Plan for America’s Job Creators is a blueprint for job creation that builds on the Pledge to America to eliminate the threat of tax hikes, pay down our debt, and rein in the mountains of red tape created by unelected bureaucrats. Learn more about it here.