Resistance to ObamaCare Is Hardly “Futile”
“ObamaCare is bad for America,” Speaker John Boehner told CBS News – so bad, in fact, that President Obama himself has already signed into law seven House-passed bills that repeal or defund parts of it.
Indeed, when the president complained on Thursday that Republicans voted “for nearly the 40th time to dismantle” ObamaCare, he neglected to mention that Democrats have supported these and several other proposals repealing or defunding parts of this train wreck – and he has already signed seven of them into law. Resistance to ObamaCare is hardly “futile.”
Washington Post fact checker Glenn Kessler pointed to these bills in response to similar claims made by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid. Here’s the list:
- H.R. 4: Repealed the small business paperwork (“1099”) mandate. Signed by President Obama on April 14, 2011.
- H.R. 1473: Cut $2.2 billion from a “stealth public plan” and froze the IRS budget. Signed by President Obama on April 15, 2011.
- H.R. 674: Saved taxpayers $13 billion by adjusting eligibility for ObamaCare programs. Signed by President Obama on November 21, 2011.
- H.R. 2055: Made more cuts to CO-OPs, IPAB, IRS. Signed by President Obama on December 23, 2011.
- H.R. 3630: Slashed billions from ObamaCare slush funds. Signed by President Obama on February 22, 2012.
- H.R. 4348: Saved another $670 million from the “Louisiana Purchase.” Signed by President Obama on July 6, 2012.
- H.R. 8: Repealed the unsustainable CLASS program. Signed by President Obama on January 2, 2013.
(Additional background is available here.)
Boehner’s comments were part of an interview that will air tomorrow on CBS News’ Face the Nation. In the interview, he also said, "If Obamacare was workable, why did the president announce that he wasn't going to enforce the employer mandate?” And if ObamaCare was workable, why has the president already signed seven bills repealing or defunding parts of it? Maybe because it’s not so “wonderful” or “fabulous” after all.
Check local listings to find out what time Face the Nation airs in your neck of the woods.