What does Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) think of bipartisan legislation – approved by the Senate Armed Services Committee by a vote of 22-4 – to support our troops and strengthen our national security? He says it’s “a waste of time.”
Really? First, President Obama threatened to veto the House defense authorization bill supporting our troops unless we increase funding for agencies like the IRS and EPA. Then a large majority of House Democrats voted against the troops bill for the same reason – to try and extract more non-defense spending. And now, the Senate Minority Leader says considering the bipartisan defense authorization bill is “a waste of time.” If that’s the case, a few questions are in order:
- Do Democrats believe it’s “a waste of time” to support a pay raise for our troops?
- Do Democrats believe it’s “a waste of time” to fully fund our national defense at the exact level the president requested?
- Do Democrats believe it’s “a waste of time” to keep terrorist detainees out of the United States?
- Do Democrats believe it’s “a waste of time” to reinforce the mission to defeat ISIL?
- Do Democrats believe it’s “a waste of time” to stand up to Putin and provide lethal aid to our ally Ukraine?
- Do Democrats believe it’s “a waste of time” to strengthen our cyber defenses?
- Do Democrats believe it’s “a waste of time” to increase our missile defense capabilities?
One of the people’s highest priorities is making sure our troops have what they need to get the job done. That’s why House Republicans have passed a strong national defense bill.
Democrats may believe it’s a “waste of time” to support our troops in harm’s way. They may believe that it’s OK to use our troops as pawns to try and extract more spending for the IRS or EPA, but the American people don’t. Instead of making a political statement, President Obama and his party should put politics aside and support a strong defense bill worthy of our men and women in uniform. Supporting our troops and their families isn’t a “waste of time.”