The following is a list of examples of actions President Obama and his administration can take right now - without additional legislation - to address the humanitarian crisis at our southern border:
Department of Homeland Security:
- Deploy National Guard to the border for security and humanitarian relief.
- Increase Operation Stonegarden grants through available FY14 funds.
- Ensure asylum claims are valid and standards for "credible fear" claims are strictly enforced.
- Restrict ability of Immigrations and Customs Enforcement to use prosecutorial discretion as related to parole and detention of certain migrants.
Department of Health and Human Services:
- Require HHS to enter into contracts with organizations that can assist in placement determinations, rather than relying exclusively on the grants process.
- Require full and formal screening of all volunteers caring for and holding unaccompanied minors.
Department of State:
- Send clear message to sending countries and intending migrants that immigrants illegally crossing into the US will be deported and promptly returned to their home countries.
- Require State to enter into negotiations with primary sending countries to expedite the return of family units and UACs.
- Direct State to enter into conversations with Mexico to secure the southern border.