Speaker Boehner Press Conference | March 13 | 11:30 AM ET - WATCH LIVE HERE
SOTU FACT: ObamaCare is Driving Up Costs & Jeopardizing Coverage for American Families
CLAIM: President Obama claims that ObamaCare is protecting access to health coverage for Americans.
- “I will not go back to the days when health insurance companies had unchecked power to cancel your policy, deny you coverage, or charge women differently from men.” (President Obama, State of the Union Address, January 24, 2012
FACT: ObamaCare is driving up premiums and jeopardizing coverage for millions of Americans. President Obama promised he would make our economy stronger, but policies like ObamaCare have made it worse.
- “Contrary to the President, the [Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services] actuaries find that Obamacare will dramatically increase the near-term growth rate of health care costs. In 2014, the actuaries find that growth in the net cost of health insurance will increase by nearly 14 percent, compared to 3.5% if PPACA had never passed.” (Forbes, 8/9/11)
- According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, “employers’ spending on health coverage for workers spiked abruptly” in 2011, with the average cost of a family plan increasing by nine percent, and the average cost for an individual plan increasing by eight percent.
- A June 2011 report by McKinsey & Co. found that 30-50 percent of employers said they would stop offering health coverage once the bulk of ObamaCare took effect.
- A May 2011 PriceWaterhouseCoopers survey found that 84 percent of employers would make changes to their plan as a result of ObamaCare.
- Instead of adding to the challenges small businesses face, Republicans have voted to repeal ObamaCare and have put forth a Plan for America’s Job Creators that focuses on removing government barriers to job growth.
QUOTE: “If there’s a constant in the story of ObamaCare, it’s broken promises. … Instead of lower costs, families and small businesses are being squeezed even further. Instead of keeping what they like, millions are being forced off their coverage. … Together, we can repeal ObamaCare and replace it with common-sense reforms that lower costs and protect American jobs.” (Speaker John Boehner, Press Release, 3/23/11)