LIVE THURSDAY 5/23 @ 11:30 A.M. ET | GOP Leadership Press Conference | WATCH LIVE HERE
SOTU FACT: President Obama’s Policies Have Made Our Economy Worse
- “As long as I’m President, I will work with anyone in this chamber to build on this momentum.” (President Obama, State of the Union Address, January 24, 2012)
FACT: President Obama’s policies have not only failed to the help the economy as promised – they have actually made our economy worse.
- 600,000 jobs lost under the ‘stimulus.’ Our economy has lost 600,000 jobs since President Obama’s ‘stimulus’ took effect.
- Nearly three years of 8+% unemployment. Our economy has faced unemployment above eight percent for 35 straight months, the longest stretch since the Great Depression. The Obama Administration promised its ‘stimulus’ would keep unemployment below eight percent.
- Gas prices have doubled. Regular gasoline now costs $3.38 per gallon – up 101 percent since President Obama took office.
- Food stamp use is at a record high. Food stamps are now being used by a record 45.8 million Americans, which represents a 46 percent jump since President Obama took office.
- Our debt is at job-crushing levels. The national debt now tops $15.2 trillion, and is bigger than the size of our entire economy for the first time since World War II.
- Satisfaction with the economy has plunged. Just 13 percent of Americans are satisfied with the economy – a drop of 23 points since January 2008.
BOEHNER QUOTE: House Republicans have a Plan for America’s Job Creators – it’s time for the President and Democrats in the Senate to stop blocking our jobs bills:
- “President Obama’s policies have not helped our economy; as a matter of fact, his policies have made our economy worse. It’s pretty clear to the American people that these policies are not working. … Our focus over the course of this year will be on the economy and on jobs, and making sure that hardworking taxpayers have a real opportunity at a good job in our country.” (Press conference with GOP leaders, 1/20/12)