"Where Are the Jobs?" Americans Need Jobs, Not Job-Crushing Tax Hikes
"Where are the jobs?" asks Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA) in the Weekly Republican Address. Small business job creators are being held back by the 'stimulus' spending binge, excessive government regulations, and the threat of tax hikes. But America needs more jobs - not tax hikes - and Republicans are listening. Watch Rep. McMorris Rodgers here, click here for highlights, and learn more below about Republican jobs bills that have passed the House but are being held up in the Democratic-run Senate:
Republicans Reject White House Demand That Tax Hikes Be Tied to Debt Limit Increase:
- Speaker Boehner rejected President Obama’s demand for job-crushing tax hikes yesterday, and said “spending reforms and cuts greater than the amount of any debt limit increase” are needed.
- Speaker Boehner has said for months "we are not going to raise taxes on the American people." Tax hikes would only hurt job growth even more. (see video here)
- VIDEO: The House will vote on a Balanced Budget Amendment later this month – the kind of reform Republicans believe is needed to stop Washington from spending money it doesn’t have.
House-Passed Jobs Bills Held Up By Democratic-Led Senate & A White House Bent on Raising Taxes:
- “To help our economy get back on track," Speaker Boehner said, "the House has passed several bills that would remove government barriers to private-sector job growth" and will be voting on more in the weeks ahead. "We hope the Senate will take those bills up." (see video here)
- Check out Jobs.GOP.Gov for more information on the Republican Plan for America's Job Creators and a progress tracker showing where each bill is today.
- House Committees highlighted several GOP jobs bills being held up by the Senate, including bills reining in excessive regulations, paying down our national debt, and more.
- The House Energy & Commerce Committee released a report highlighting House-passed American Energy Initiative bills that would create jobs and save taxpayers billions of dollars.
- Economists say high gas prices pose a threat to jobs and our economy, but Washington Democrats are quite comfortable with the pain at the pump: the Obama Administration has consistently blocked energy production that would help lower costs and create jobs.
Democrats' "Stimulus" Spending Binge, Excessive Regulations, & the Threat of Tax Hikes Holding Back Job Creators:
- A report by the House Budget Committee says the skyrocketing debt brought on by Democrats’ ‘stimulus’ spending “has emerged as one of the main factors weighing down the economy.”
- "June gloom": Analysis of the June jobs report by Speaker Boehner's economic policy advisor says unemployment is "stuck at record highs" but Democrats continue "to cling to a failed formula of spending too much, borrowing too much and taxing too much."
- Republicans took advantage of a "Twitter Town Hall" this week to ask President Obama, "where are the jobs?" Unfortunately the president's answer revealed Democrats have no plan for jobs -- just a desire for more failed 'stimulus' spending, higher taxes, and more regulations.
More Photos & Videos from the Office of the Speaker:
- Speaker Boehner welcomed wounded warriors and their families to the Capitol to celebrate Independence Day and thanked them for their service to our country.
- Here is a 30-second look at the Independence Day fireworks as viewed from the Capitol.
- Speaker Boehner also welcomed the Dalai Lama to the Capitol this week.