Yesterday’s announcement by Nebraska Gov. Dave Heineman that a re-routed plan has been approved for the Keystone pipeline “leaves the Obama administration as the last barrier” holding back the project, thousands of “new, real U.S. jobs,” and the approximately one million barrels of secure oil that come with it. Unfortunately for the out-of-work Americans depending on those jobs, the administration is making clear it has no intention of standing up to its political allies and moving the pipeline forward for jobs and energy security. Here’s more:
- “The Obama administration has delayed a decision on TransCanada Corp's rerouted Keystone XL oil pipeline until after March, even though Nebraska's governor on Tuesday approved a plan for part of the line running through his state. It was the latest delay on the pipeline, which has been pending for more than four years.” (Reuters, 1/22/13)
- “White House spokesman Jay Carney said the State Department was reviewing the project and he did not want to ‘get ahead of that process.’” (The Associated Press, 1/22/13)
- “A State Department spokeswoman said Tuesday that Nebraska’s action would not change State’s timeline for reviewing Keystone. State Spokeswoman Victoria Nuland indicated to reporters that the review would be completed at the end of the first quarter of 2013, at the earliest.” (The Hill, 1/22/13)
The Keystone pipeline is supported by job creators, labor unions, a majority of the American people, and the president’s own jobs council. As Speaker Boehner said yesterday, “there is no bureaucratic excuse, hurdle, or catch President Obama can use to delay this project any further.” President Obama had no problem feigning support for the project on his politically-motivated energy tour de farce last year. It’s now time for him to match his rhetoric with action and cut the red tape so thousands of Americans can get back to work.