Press Conference with GOP Leaders- 12/11 - 10:00 AM ET - WATCH LIVE HERE
Is This Your “Adult Conversation” About Spending, Mr. President?
While Democrats are on the air rooting for a government shutdown in Washington, President Obama’s campaign arm – “Organizing for America” – is out helping to cause an actual shutdown in Wisconsin, ginning up protests against a reform-minded governor trying to address the budget challenges facing his state. With Republicans in Congress and across the country working to liberate our economy from the shackles of debt and big government, we have to ask: Mr. President, is this what you call an “adult conversation” on spending?
President Obama Calls for an “Adult Conversation” on Government Spending & Entitlement Programs …
- “President Barack Obama called on congressional Republicans to engage in an ‘adult conversation’ about the federal government's long-term financial health…” (Obama calls for budget compromise, CNN, 2/15/11)
- “President Obama … appealing to Republicans to join him in an ‘adult conversation’ to resolve their difference on spending and forestall a crisis on entitlements.” (Obama Asks for 'Adult Conversation' on the Budget, National Journal, 2/15/11)
- “‘My hope is that what’s different this time is we have an adult conversation where everybody says, ‘Here’s what’s important and here’s how we’re going to pay for it,’?’ he said.” (A budget for the future, Las Vegas Sun, 2/16/11)
…As the White House Unleashes the DNC to Fuel Protests Against Reform-Minded Leaders…
- “The president's political machine worked in close coordination Thursday with state and national union officials to mobilize thousands of protesters to gather in Madison and to plan similar demonstrations in other state capitals. ... The White House political operation, Organizing for America, got involved Monday...” (Obama joins Wisconsin's budget battle, opposing Republican anti-union bill, Washington Post, 2/18/11)
- “The Democratic National Committee's Organizing for America arm -- the remnant of the 2008 Obama campaign -- is playing an active role in organizing protests...” (DNC playing role in Wisconsin protests, Politico, 2/17/11)
- “The fact the Democratic National Committee and Organizing for America got involved in Wisconsin is another sign that it may be all but impossible for ‘grown up conversations’ about tough budget decisions...” (Drawing Lines In The Sand From Wisconsin To Washington, ABC News, 2/18/11)
Speaker Boehner has called on the president “to order the DNC to suspend these tactics. This is not the way you begin an ‘adult conversation’ in America about solutions to the fiscal challenges that are destroying jobs in our country.”
While the White House is ginning up protests, asking Congress to raise the debt limit, and fighting to keep the job-crushing spending binge going, Republicans are listening to the American people and will soon vote to cut $100 billion in discretionary spending over the next seven months – just one part of the effort to create a better environment for job growth.