It’s a tradition that dates back to 1983, when President Ronald Reagan and Speaker Tip O’Neill had lunch together on St. Patrick’s Day in honor of their Irish heritage. Yesterday, the Friends of Ireland luncheon continued under another Irish speaker whose own family traces their roots to the potato farms of Kilkenny.
1) Speaker Ryan, Taoiseach Kenny of Ireland, and Rep. Peter King (R-NY) welcome President Trump and Vice President Pence to the Capitol.
2) Despite his best efforts, Speaker Ryan’s attempt at an Irish accent had the whole room laughing.
3) President Trump, Speaker Ryan, and Taoiseach Kenny swap stories over lunch.
4) In a customary gift exchange, Speaker Ryan presents Taoiseach Kenny with a Green Bay Packers hat. The Speaker went on to explain that generally, “Americans regard the Packers as the greatest football team in the world.”
5) A bagpiper leads the way for the President’s departure from the Capitol, thus concluding the 34th annual Friends of Ireland luncheon.