WASHINGTON, DC – House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) today announced that he will invite President Park Geun-hye of the Republic of Korea to address a joint meeting of Congress on Wednesday, May 8, 2013.
“It will be my honor to welcome President Park to the United States Capitol next month,” Speaker Boehner said. “Given the North Korean regime’s recent provocative actions, President Park’s address to Congress will serve as a vital and timely reminder that Americans and South Koreans will continue to stand shoulder to shoulder to preserve our hopes for peace and freedom.”
President Park is the 11th president of the Republic of Korea, and will be the sixth to address a joint meeting of Congress. Previous South Korean presidents to address Congress include:
- October 13, 2011: Joint meeting with Lee Myung-bak, President of the Republic of Korea
- June 10, 1998: Joint meeting with Kim Dae-jung, President of the Republic of Korea
- July 26, 1995: Joint meeting with Kim Yong-sam, President of the Republic of Korea
- October 18, 1989: Joint meeting with Roh Tae Woo, President of the Republic of Korea
- July 28, 1954: Joint meeting with Syngman Rhee, President of the Republic of Korea