Coming up in a little bit, Speaker Ryan will be talking about tax reform with employees at Southwest Airlines's headquarters in Dallas, TX. The carrier is one of hundreds of companies that have announced employee bonuses since teTax Cuts and Jobs Act became law.
Ryan will be joined today by House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Kevin Brady (R-TX), one of the law’s chief architects. You’ll be able to watch the employee forum at 4:30 p.m. ET/3:30 p.m. CT live on Speaker.gov.
While you wait for the event to start, here are a few things to check out:
- This video or these clips from Speaker Ryan’s recent visit to Home Depot, where he talked about the benefits tax reform is delivering directly to American workers, from bigger paychecks and bonuses to an expanded child tax credit.
- This story of how a Maryland manufacturer that Speaker Ryan visited in the run-up to tax reform recently announced bonuses for its employees. Based in Kent County, this is a company with a 102-year history and more than 1,000 employees across 14 states.
- This map showing that tax reform has helped lower utility prices for customers in 41 states (and counting.)
OK, that was technically four things, but tax reform has brought a lot of good news for America’s workers, and optimism abounds. Just a couple of items from last week:
- “Consumer sentiment in March reached the highest level since 2004. . . The advance in confidence underscores buoyant consumer sentiment following tax cuts and one-time bonuses that boosted many Americans’ take-home pay.” (Bloomberg)
- “The rate of layoffs in the U.S. fell again in late March and dropped to the lowest level since 1973. . . . The labor market is so strong that it’s even drawing back in people who’ve been out of the workforce for years. And it doesn’t show any sign of letting up.” (MarketWatch)
So be sure to tune in to speaker.gov/live at 4:30 p.m. ET/3:30 p.m. CT as Speaker Ryan keeps this conversation going and fields questions from Southwest employees.