Pelosi, Bicameral Delegation Conclude Visit to COP25 Madrid
CAPTION: Speaker Pelosi and Members of the bicameral Congressional Delegation to COP25 participate in a press conference.
Washington, D.C. – Speaker Nancy Pelosi and a bicameral Congressional Delegation concluded their visit to the 2019 United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, known as COP25.
“Today, our delegation concluded a successful two-day visit to COP25 in Madrid with a message on behalf of the U.S. Congress of ‘We’re still in,’” Speaker Pelosi said. “Combating the climate crisis is the existential threat of our time and it was essential that our delegation stand with international partners, who are continuing to build upon and solidify their commitments to meet the Paris Agreement’s goals.”
The delegation engaged in several key bilateral discussions, including with UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres, H.M. King Felipe VI of Spain, President Pedro Sanchez of Spain and European Parliament President David Sassoli. Members participated in the COP25 opening ceremony and met separately with international, U.S. and faith-based NGOs to learn more about their efforts around the globe. As COP25 opened, Speaker Pelosi addressed a meeting of the Climate Vulnerable Forum, which brings together the nations most at risk from the climate crisis, alongside several heads of governments including Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina of Bangladesh and Costa Rican President Carlos Alvarado.
“Our delegation commends both Spain and Chile for their successful preparations for this COP,” said Speaker Pelosi. “Addressing the climate crisis is about our public health, our national and economic security, and our moral responsibility to help the world’s most vulnerable populations as we pass this planet on to future generations.”
Speaker Pelosi purchased carbon offsets to cover all air travel involved in this Congressional Delegation visit to COP25.
The Members of the Congressional Delegation are:
- Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA)
- Senator Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI)
- Chairman Frank Pallone (D-NJ), Committee on Energy and Commerce
- Chairwoman Eddie Bernice Johnson (D-TX), Committee on Science, Space, Technology
- Chairman Raúl Grijalva (D-AZ), Committee on Natural Resources
- Chairwoman Kathy Castor (D-FL), Select Committee on the Climate Crisis
- Congresswoman Betty McCollum (D-MN)
- Congresswoman Suzanne Bonamici (D-OR)
- Congresswoman Julia Brownley (D-CA)
- Congressman Jared Huffman (D-CA)
- Congressman Scott Peters (D-CA)
- Congresswoman Debbie Dingell (D-MI)
- Congressman Mike Levin (D-CA)
- Congressman Sean Casten (D-IL)
- Congressman Joe Neguse (D-CO)