Dear Colleague on Oversight of Coronavirus Relief Funds
Dear Democratic Colleague,
Thank you all for your persistent advocacy for America’s working families. Your leadership is essential to the lives, livelihoods and life of American democracy.
Thank you also for your interest in ensuring that we have the fullest benefit of everyone’s participation as we develop a plan for remote voting. I am especially grateful to Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, Rules Committee Chairman Jim McGovern and Committee on House Administration Chair Zoe Lofgren for giving us options that we can vote on upon our return.
Thanks also to Members for sharing their ideas for how we exercise oversight of the nearly 2 trillion in taxpayer dollars injected into the economy through the CARES Act and other relief packages. We must be sure that the money we put forth goes to those who need it most, in a way that addresses disparities in access to health care and credit. We also owe it to the American people to prevent waste, fraud and abuse and to protect against price-gouging and profiteering.
Later today, I will join Whip Clyburn to announce Members to the House Select Committee on the Coronavirus Crisis, and I wanted to give you advance notice.
- Majority Whip Jim Clyburn (Committee Chair)
- Chairwoman Maxine Waters, House Financial Services Committee
- Chairwoman Carolyn Maloney, House Oversight and Reform Committee
- Chairwoman Nydia Velázquez, House Small Business Committee
- Chairman Bill Foster, Subcommittee on Investigations and Oversight of Science, Space, and Technology Committee
- Chairman Jamie Raskin, Subcommittee on Civil Rights and Civil Liberties of Oversight and Reform Committee
- Chairman Andy Kim, Subcommittee on Economic Growth, Tax, and Capital Access of Small Business Committee
As we respond to this unprecedented pandemic, there will be other opportunities for Member participation which have been suggested for inclusion in legislation.
Thanks to our distinguished Committee Chairs, we are making progress in shaping CARES 2, starting with honoring our heroes in the fight.