The GOP's Attacks on Women's Health
In the 115th Congress, House Republicans have passed:
FEBURARY 16, 2017: H.J.Res. 43 – Restricting Access to Title X Family Planning and Preventive Services
- Reduces women’s access to life-saving Title X services and harms some of the most underserved and vulnerable people in our country.
MAY 4, 2017: H.R. 1628 – Trumpcare Bill
- Includes provisions to defund Planned Parenthood, restricting the access of millions of American women to affordable contraceptives.
SEPTEMBER 14, 2017: H.R. 3354 – FY 2018 GOP 8-Bill Appropriations Package
- Also includes a provision to defund Planned Parenthood, leaving millions of American women without key preventive health services – including birth control.
And since President Trump’s inauguration, the White House has made limiting women’s access to affordable, safe contraception and family planning services a top priority. Below are some examples:
MAY 16, 2017: Renewing And Expanding the Global Gag Rule
- Prevents any non-governmental group around the world that provides family planning services from receiving even one dollar of U.S. international health assistance if they use their own private money to even simply offer information or referrals for safe abortions.
- Applies to ALL global health assistance provided by the federal government.
- Forces all organizations that receive health funding from the U.S. to provide incomplete medical information, advice and care to women in need.
OCTOBER 6, 2017: Dismantling the ACA’s Requirement That Employers Cover Basic Contraception in Their Health Plans, A Requirement That Has Helped 62 million Women
- Dismantles the ACA requirement that employers include contraception in their health plans.
- Allows employers and universities to choose not to cover birth control for vaguely-defined religious or moral reasons.
- Overrules the rights of millions of women to basic preventive care and forces them to pay a huge cost.
MAY 22, 2018: Domestic Gag Rule on Title X Family Planning
- Restricts what doctors and other health care providers receiving Title X funding can say to their patients.
- Creates new restrictions on Title X providers that would have the effect of defunding Planned Parenthood, greatly limiting access to affordable contraception for millions of women.
Today and every day, Democrats will continue to fight to ensure that all women, including those most vulnerable here and around the world, have access to basic health care and affordable, vital family planning services.