Dear Colleague on Advancing President Biden's Build Back Better Agenda
Dear Democratic Colleague,
Today is a great day for our Country. President Biden has a big, bold vision for the future, and we have an unprecedented opportunity to forge ahead to keep our promises For The People: lower health costs, bigger paychecks by rebuilding infrastructure, and cleaner government.
The rule we will put on the Floor advances all three of our For The People priorities:
- Budget resolution: paves a path for passage of the Build Back Better Act, a once-in-a-century opportunity to deliver more jobs, cut taxes and lower health care costs, and does so in a fiscally-sound way, including by making the wealthiest and big corporations pay their fair share.
- Bipartisan infrastructure package: rebuilding America’s crumbling infrastructure in a jobs-creating and green way.
- H.R. 4, the John R. Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act: restores the power of the Voting Rights Act to protect every American’s right to vote and participate in our democracy.
As we prepare for the vote on the rule, it is essential that we do these three things:
- Keep the 51-vote privilege by passing the budget and working with House and Senate Democrats to reach agreement on a reconciliation bill that will pass both Houses.
- Keep the historic leverage for the children in the Build Back Better plan, by passing reconciliation first.
- Keep the faith with those who elected a Democratic Majority by addressing their needs, especially women, in a transformative way.
We must not squander our Congressional Democratic Majorities and jeopardize the once-in-a-generation opportunity to create historic change to meet the needs of working families.
Listening to the priorities across the spectrum in our Caucus, there is a clear recognition that we must pass both the Build Back Better Act and the bipartisan infrastructure bill – and we must do so soon. At 5:30 pm this evening, we will have a Caucus Meeting to take us forward to accomplish both. I know we will succeed because of the confidence I have in the shared values of all in our Caucus for America’s working families.
The success of each bill contributes to the success of the other. Thank you for making your views known personally or as a caucus. Working together, we will give President Biden’s agenda a victory worthy of his vision.
Thank you for your patriotic leadership For The Children and For The People.