Dear Colleague on Support for the Updated Heroes Act
Dear Democratic Colleague,
Since we posted our updated Heroes Act last night, we were very pleased by the enthusiastic endorsements it has received with more on the way. Please see the attached list of statements of support for the legislation, which is consistent with the support for our For The People agenda.
It is important to understand what this bill would mean for families at their kitchen tables. Let us consider some of the provisions that are available a family of four, earning $24,000:
- Direct Payments – A $3,400 direct payment;
- Earned Income Tax Credit – If the parents lost all of their income in 2020, they could receive up to $5,920 in EITC based on their earnings from 2019;
- Child Tax Credit – Fully refundable $4,000 for the two children equaling an additional $1,200 in refund;
- Food Support – An increase in SNAP benefits worth more than $100 a month in most states;
- Rental Assistance – For those facing hardship paying rent during the pandemic;
- Unemployment Insurance – $600 per week in enhanced Unemployment Insurance benefits;
- ACA Premium Subsidy – A parent losing his or her job would immediately be eligible for the maximum health insurance premium subsidy under the Affordable Care Act, a benefit worth an average of $1,386 per month.
Our updated Heroes Act is a tribute to the tremendous leadership of Chairwoman Nita Lowey and our Committee Chairs, who once again brought their formidable expertise to assembling a bill that is science, data and evidence-based. Once again, I am including a link to the Appropriations Committee one-pager.
The legislation that we plan to send to the floor will formalize our proffer to Republicans to come to negotiations to address the health and economic catastrophe in our country. With your support, we hope to have a strong vote on the floor to support lives, livelihoods and the life of our democracy.