Yes—it’s true. Much of October was spent on tax reform, turning a framework into legislative text that will soon be introduced. But there was much more that happened this month, including a visit to Puerto Rico to survey hurricane damage and a Congressional Gold Medal for Filipino World War II veterans that was 70 years overdue.
Here are moments from the month that show October was about more than tax reform:
1. The Survivor Meeting – Speaker Ryan meets with Matt Mika, who was injured during the June Congressional baseball practice shooting, to hear more about his recovery.
2. The Puerto Rico Visit – While touring the devastation in Puerto Rico caused by Hurricanes Irma and Maria, Speaker Ryan thanks people at the FEMA command center who are working around the clock on recovery efforts.
3. The Bill Signing – Speaker Ryan signs a bill, sponsored by Rep. John Ratcliffe (R-TX), to help state and local law enforcement agencies fight cyberattacks.
4. The Congressional Gold Medal Ceremony – Speaker Ryan presents the Congressional Gold Medal, the highest civilian honor Congress can bestow, to the Filipino veterans of World War II for their service and sacrifice during the war.
5. The Intern Meeting – Speaker Ryan takes some time to answer questions and get to know his fall intern class, which includes college students and recent graduates who are looking to learn and make a positive difference in their country.
6. The FEMA Briefing – In the aftermath of Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria, Speaker Ryan participates in an interdepartmental briefing at FEMA’s headquarters to learn more about recovery efforts.
7. The Disaster Relief Funding – Speaker Ryan signs a bill for more disaster relief funding in the wake of wildfires and hurricanes. Pictured here from left to right: Rep. Kay Granger (R-TX), Rep. John Carter (R-TX), Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart (R-FL), Rep. Jenniffer Gonzalez (R-Puerto Rico).
Ok, ok…so a few of these photos are tax-related. What can we say? Eliminating the tax talk cold-turkey is more of a challenge than originally anticipated.
8. The Tax Reform Skimm – Speaker Ryan participates in the Skimm’s “Sip ‘n Skimm” interview series, talking tax reform, from the Speaker’s balcony.
9. The Manufacturing Tour – While taking his pitch for tax reform on the road, Speaker Ryan stops to learn from an employee at Dixon Valve & Coupling in Maryland.
10. The Heritage Speech – In his address to conservatives at The Heritage Foundation, Speaker Ryan outlines the historic choice we face on tax reform.