On Tuesday night, Congress welcomed President Trump to the Capitol to deliver his first State of the Union address. The president touted the accomplishments of our unified Republican government, as well as outlined his vision for building a safer, stronger, and prouder America.
Here are five photos that tell the story of President Trump’s first State of the Union address:
1. A Lesson in Miracles – Speaker Ryan adjusts the tie of Jackson Poulos, a 6-year-old from Franklin, Wisconsin, who was one of Speaker Ryan’s guests for the president’s address. Beating a very rare form of cancer he was diagnosed with at just age four, Jackson’s story proves that miracles really do happen.
2. A Hello to Old Friends – An appearance by senators and cabinet members in the House Chamber is a rare occurrence. Speaker Ryan and Vice President Pence use this opportunity to say “hello” to old friends.
3. Welcome, President Trump – Speaker Ryan welcomes President Trump to the House Chamber to deliver his first State of the Union address.
4. In God We Trust – Speaker Ryan points to our motto, engraved in the House Chamber, when President Trump said: “In America, we know that faith and family, not government and bureaucracy, are the center of the American life.”
5. The State of Our Union Is Strong – Members of Congress stand to applaud as President Trump lays out his plan to make America safer and stronger for the 21st century.