High-drama hearings and partisan sniping. That’s all that goes on in Washington these days, right? Not exactly.
Every day, there are hundreds of small, but important moments that don’t make headlines. Here are eight such moments from June that show, regardless of political affiliation, we’re all united in our humanity.
1. “You ready?” – Speaker Ryan, surrounded by Members from both sides of the aisle, is all smiles as he prepares to sign legislation that ensures our veterans get the care and treatment they deserve.
2. “You were just released from the hospital today?!” – Special Agent Crystal Griner surprises the crowd, and the speaker, when she shows up at the Congressional Women’s Softball Game to throw out the first pitch, the very same day she was released from the hospital after taking a bullet in the Alexandria shooting.
3. “That guy is unbelievable.” – Special Agent David Bailey, one of the heroes of the Alexandria shooting, shows off his million-dollar-smile before throwing out the first pitch at the annual Congressional Baseball Game.
4. “I’ve got to say ‘hi’ to the Sisters!” – Three Catholics share a laugh at a Faith and Freedom Summit.
5. “And YOU get a pen!” – Most of the bills passed in Congress are actually bipartisan. Speaker Ryan hands Rep. Donald Payne, Jr. (D-NJ) one of the pens he used to sign legislation combatting agro-terrorism.
6. “We’re all Team Scalise.” – In a show of unity, Members and staff were seen around the Capitol sporting Team Scalise stickers in the Whip’s favorite color combo—LSU purple and gold.
7. “You are my hero.” – At an event honoring Congress’s three Korean War veterans, the Speaker greets Rep. Sam Johnson (R-TX) and thanks him for his service.
8. “Say cheese, Jim!” – The bunny ears seem to be the Speaker's go-to when posing for pictures with friends. Here, he presents fellow Wisconsinite Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner with a custom Packers jersey for his birthday.