The month of September was filled with headline-making moments—moments that will leave a lasting impact on so many Americans. There were moments of great sadness and loss with Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria. Moments of triumph and joy with the return of Whip Steve Scalise to the people’s House. And moments of confidence and optimism that accompany the House’s efforts to pass bold, pro-growth tax reform for the first time since 1986.
Here are nine such moments from the month that tell the story of September, through the eyes of the Speaker of the House:
1. #ScaliseStrong – Speaker Ryan greets Majority Whip Steve Scalise upon his return to the people’s House after being shot in June while practicing for the Congressional Baseball Game.
2. #HurricaneHarvey – While visiting Houston, Texas to lend a hand with Hurricane Harvey relief efforts, Speaker Ryan prays with volunteers serving breakfast to displaced Houstonians.
3. #MadeInAmerica – At Harley-Davidson’s factory in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin, Speaker Ryan learns about the assembly process for engines and transmissions. This stop is one of many on his tour of Made in America companies to discuss the benefits of tax reform.
4. #HurricaneIrma – Speaker Ryan looks out the back of a C-130 to survey Hurricane Irma’s devastation along the Florida Keys.
5. #SmallBiz – During another stop on his Made in America tax reform tour—this time at Penn Machine Works outside of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania—Speaker Ryan observes one part of the pipe manufacturing process.
6. #Bipartisanship – With a bipartisan group of Members from Texas, Speaker Ryan sends a Hurricane Harvey aid package off to the White House.
7. #HurricaneMaria –Speaker Ryan meets with Puerto Rico Congresswoman Jenniffer González-Colón to learn more about the devastation caused by Hurricane Maria, and to pledge resources to help Puerto Rico rebuild and recover.
8. #CTE – During a visit to New Berlin School District’s Eisenhower School in New Berlin, Wisconsin to discuss their career and technical education (CTE) programs, Speaker Ryan cracks a few jokes with a teacher who attended his rival high school.
9. #TaxReform – Ryan meets with House, Senate, and White House leaders to discuss the unified framework for tax reform just days before it is released.