This is Speaker Ryan's favorite time of year. St. Patrick's Day brings with it a celebration of his own Irish heritage, and as speaker, the opportunity to continue a decades-old tradition of hosting the president of the United States and the prime minister of Ireland for lunch at the Capitol. Here are seven photos from yesterday's festivities at the annual Friends of Ireland luncheon.
1. St. Patrick's Day is a family affair. Speaker Ryan walks through the Old Hall of the House with his brother and sister.
2. The speaker greets President Trump and Vice President Pence as they arrive at the Capitol.
3. The guest of honor at the Friends of Ireland luncheon is always the prime minister of Ireland. Elected in June of last year, this is Leo Varadkar's first time at the luncheon, but not his first time in the Capitol. In 2000, he spent a semester conducting tours as a congressional intern.
4. Speaker Ryan offers a toast:
"May the winds of fortune sail you. May you sail the gentlest sea.
May it always be the other guy or gal, who says, ‘This drink is on me.’
5. Anthony Kearns of the Irish Tenors performs for members of Congress, cabinet members, and guests of honor at the luncheon.
6. Led by a Capitol Police bagpiper, the official party departs the Capitol to close out the day's ceremonies.
7. Speaker Ryan thanks the U.S. Capitol Police ceremonial unit before heading back to work.
- Video: Speaker Ryan's Irish Jokes at the Luncheon
- Video: Speaker Ryan's Irish Heritage
- 5 Photos from Last Year