WASHINGTON, D.C. – House Majority Leader John Boehner (R-OH) today issued the following statement after the House passed the College Access & Opportunity Act (H.R. 609), legislation aimed at helping even more Americans to take advantage of the ongoing Bush Economic Boom that continues to create hundreds of thousands of new jobs every month:
- “This important bill opens the door of economic opportunity to even more Americans looking to attend college and achieve the American dream. Expanding college access to low- and middle-income students is a top Republican priority and this measure goes a long way toward accomplishing that goal.
“It’s unfortunate that Democrat leaders would use strong-arm tactics to badger their members into opposing these common-sense reforms because election year politics is more important. This is yet another example of how Democrats are choosing to put politics over progress. Whether it is education, border security, or national security, House Democrat leaders are putting politics ahead of the interests of the American people.”
“Chairman McKeon has been a tireless advocate on behalf of students and parents throughout the HEA reauthorization process and he deserves great credit for his work on this legislation.”
- Strengthening Pell Grants, student aid, student access, and minority serving institutions;
- Reducing red tape for students and graduates;
- Removing barriers for non-traditional students;
- Empowering consumers with more transparency in college costs & accreditation;
- Repealing duplicative, expired, and/or unnecessary programs;
- Establishing an Academic Bill of Rights;
- Safeguarding the privacy of students;
- Promoting merit-based pay for teachers; and
- Demanding accountability in federal college access programs/.